African American "Rites of Passage" Kente Ceremony
- Date: 05/25/2018 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Location: Monterey Peninsula College - Music Hall
980 Fremont Street
Monterey, California 93940
What is the Rites of Passage Ceremony?
The Rites of Passage Ceremony serves to honor and celebrate students who identify as Black/African American that have successfully completed an Associate Degree, Certification or will be transferring to a Four-Year University. This event both recognizes students’ accomplishments and the community that supported them, while also marking the transition from their time at Monterey Peninsula College to their future studies or professional endeavors. Come celebrate in this ceremonial pre-commencement event that embraces African culture, customs, and traditions. You can expect to hear words of wisdom form notable speakers, student awards and recognition, and musical selections, culminating with the presentation of Kente Stoles, followed by a reception for graduates and guests. This ceremony is free for students, guests and the community.
Please fill out the following form if you are interested in participating on or before May 23, 2018. For additional details please see our "Rites of Passage" Ceremony webpage.
- Date: Friday, May 25, 2018
- Time: 6pm - 8pm
- Location: Monterey Peninsula College Theatre (Reception immediately following in the Music Hall)
* This special event is sponsored by the Black Student Union, African American Faculty & Staff and EOPS department. *