Coronavirus Disease 2019 Update (March 15, 2020)
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Update
March 15, 2020
Governor Newsom called for the self-isolation of the following high-risk populations:
- Individuals over 65
- Individuals with chronic medical conditions
If you are in either population, you are not expected to be on campus starting tomorrow (March 16) until further notice. Please notify your immediate supervisor as soon as possible if you are in a high-risk population and will be staying home.
Students who are in these populations should be excused from attending class in-person, starting tomorrow, March 16th. Please notify your instructor as soon as possible if you are in a high-risk population and will be staying home. We ask that faculty and staff be understanding and provide accommodations to these students to the greatest extent possible.
MPC Next Steps for Faculty, Staff, and Students
Governor Newsom also communicated that the California Department of Public Health will issue updated guidance this Tuesday (March 17) for higher education entities. This guidance will supersede the California Department of Public Health’s guidance issued on March 7th.
As mentioned in the campus communication on March 13th, and in accordance with the most recent guidelines established by the California Department of Public Health, MPC will remain open the week of March 16th. We continue to prepare for alternate scenarios and strongly recommend that all classes transition online. Support, training, and resources for these transitions will continue to be available for faculty and students.
As a Reminder
- Employees who have health concerns are encouraged to work with their supervisors and human resources to make alternative work arrangements.
- Students with health concerns are encouraged to work with their instructors for possible accommodations.
- California Department of Public Health: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/
- CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/
- County of Monterey Health Department: https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/
government/departments-a-h/ health/diseases/2019-novel- coronavirus-2019-ncov
- Chancellor’s Office: https://www.cccco.edu/About-
Us/Chancellors-Office/ Divisions/Communications-and- Marketing/Novel-Coronavirus