MPC Student Access to Online Learning (March 16, 2020) - Updated March 18, 2020
March 16, 2020
MPC is in the process of shifting most instruction online as a response to the current situation regarding the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), which is important to reduce exposure and help contain the spread of the virus.
This communication is intended to provide guidance for students on how to prepare themsleves to access online learning and how to be a successful online learner.
First and foremost, now is the time to take a deep breath, remain calm, and be patient. MPC faculty and staff are working hard to transition instruction online and support you during this transition. Online courses will help allow you to complete your classes this semester so you stay on track with your academic goals.
Your instructor will let you know if and when their course will be online and provide you with directions to get started.
Until then, here are a few ways you can get prepared for online learning:
1. Make sure you can access Lobo Apps. Most instructors will use the Canvas system to deliver online instruction. Canvas can be accessed through Lobo Apps. To get to Lobo Apps, browse to MPC’s main webpage and click Lobo Apps in the gray bar at the top.
- If you have not already activated your Lobo Account please follow the instructions to activate your account now.
- If you need help, email email@example.com. Include your name, 9-digit student ID #, and list of courses you are enrolled in this semester.
- Make sure you know how to access your MPC email account. MPC Email is accessible through Lobo Apps. MPC Email is the official campus method for communication. Official campus communication and communication from your instructors in your courses will be sent to your MPC email address.
2. View the Canvas Student Quick-start Orientation (Lobo Apps login required). The Canvas Student Quick-start Orientation is designed to help you understand the basics about how to use Canvas to access online instruction and how to be a successful online learner.
3. View the Canvas Student Support Tutorials. The Canvas Student Support Tutorials include how-to guides for the most essential tasks in Canvas, such as Canvas basics, discussion forums, quizzes, assignments, and more.
Support is available for using Canvas
1. If you need assistance with Canvas, you can submit an online education help desk ticket. The MPC Canvas support team is available Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm to help answer questions about how to access Canvas, how to find your course, how to complete activities and assignments online.2. You can also use the national Canvas Help Line. Call the Canvas student help desk 24-hours a day, 7 days a week at (877) 890-0169.
Academic and Student Support Services Are Available Online and In Person1. Access NetTutor online tutoring services through Canvas (Lobo Apps access required). Net Tutor provides online tutoring in a wide range of disciplines -- some include 24/7 availability.
2. The MPC Library remains open during regular scheduled hours. Visit the MPC Library to access a computer, find resources for your class, or ask a Librarian for assistance.
3. The English and Study Skills Center, STEM CEL Center, and Math Learning Center remain open during regularly scheduled hours. Visit the learning centers to work with a tutor in person to help with your class assignments.
4. Students who may need accommodations to support the transition to online learning should contact the Access Resource Center for assistance.
5. Students are encouraged to contact Counseling for additional guidance and support during the transition period.
Free/discounted Internet service may also be available. Individuals without Internet service at home may wish to consider signing up for Comcast’s Internet Essentials program which provides affordable Internet at home for eligible households. Comcast is offering new qualifying customers two months free service in response to emergency measures associated with Coronavirus (COVID-19). (Note: MPC is not affiliated with Comcast and cannot guarantee their service. This information is provided for your information only.)