Register for STEM Core Fall 2018!
- Eligible for Math 13 in Fall 2018?
- Interested in computer science?
- Interested in guided support and tutoring?
If this sounds like you, I’d like to invite you to apply for MPC’s STEM Core program in Fall 2018. You and your classmates will move through the following courses as a group:
- Math 263 (Intermediate Algebra)
- CSIS 9 (Programming Fundamentals: Python)
- Math 13 (pre-Calculus)
- CSIS 10A (Programming Methods 1: Java)
Why STEM Core?
- Many STEM majors require calculus (3 semesters) of math before transferring to a 4 year university
- Fulfilling math requirement is the number one reason students drop out and/or delay transferring
- STEM Core provides a supportive learning community to help students get calculus ready in one year
- Many STEM majors benefit from classes in Computer Science
Why Join STEM Core?
- You will receive help from embedded tutors who attend the guaranteed classes with the cohort
- If you are still undecided about your major or career field, STEM Core provides exposure to a number of STEM fields through field trips and activities.
Here is a sample of activities that past students have participated in:
- A field trip to Jabil, to see electrical engineers in action building the prototypes of tomorrow
- A guest speaker from the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) who talked about his career in meteorological predictive modeling
- A conference aimed at students at San Jose State University where students saw a variety of talks on different career fields and got to network with people from industry
- The Transmosis Gaming Academy, a 2 week workshop where students learned the basics of making video games
Click here for more information (www.mpc.edu/stemcore)
Click here to apply to the program (https://goo.gl/forms/GWOnaKh4oxFGefwF2)
* If you have any questions or would like more information, please email Stephanie Deen, the Student Support Specialist for STEM Core at firstname.lastname@example.org.