Apply for STEM Core Spring 2019!
- Eligible for Math 13 in Spring 2019?
- Interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math?
- Interested in guided support and tutoring?
If this sounds like you, I’d like to invite you to apply for MPC’s STEM Core program for the Spring 2019 semester.
You and your classmates will move through the following courses as a group or cohort:
- Math 13 (Pre-Calculus)
- CSIS 10A (Programming Methods 1: Java)
Why STEM Core?
- Many STEM majors require calculus (3 semesters) of math before transferring to a 4 year university
- Fulfilling a math requirement is the number one reason students drop out and/or delay transferring
- STEM Core provides a supportive learning community to help students get calculus ready in one year
- Many STEM majors benefit from classes in Computer Science that are critical components in STEM Core
Why Join STEM Core?
- Receive help from embedded supplemental instruction leaders who attend classes with the cohort and offer daily supplemental instruction sessions
- Join a cohort that provides an embedded support network and enhances your learning in an engaging environment
- Guaranteed registration in STEM Core courses (no waitlist!)
- Connections with faculty who are involved in STEM Core, which will help with letters of recommendation for scholarships and internships
- Participation in STEM Core looks really good on your resume and when applying to transfer to 4 year schools
If you are still undecided about your major or career field, STEM Core provides exposure to a number of STEM fields through field trips and activities. Here is a sample of activities that past participants have participated in:
- A field trip to Jabil, to see electrical engineers in action building the prototypes of tomorrow
- A guest speaker from the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) who talked about his career in meteorological predictive modeling
- A conference aimed at students at San Jose State University where students attedned a variety of talks on different career field including: Artificial Intelligence, cybersecurity, virtual reality and biomedical engineering, students were also able to network with professionals in industry
- A four week drone workshop, where students learned about this emerging technology and how to code drones
How does it work?
- Fill out an online application at bit.ly/stem-core-app.
- Application is reviewed and an email is sent to set up an interview.
- Once accepted into the program, participants need to fill out a STEM Core Contract, and then sign up for MATH 13 and CSIS 10A using add codes.
Click here for more information (www.mpc.edu/stemcore)
Click here to apply to the program (https://goo.gl/forms/GWOnaKh4oxFGefwF2)
* If you have any questions or would like more information, please email Stephanie Deen, the Student Support Specialist for STEM Core at email@example.com.