In the event of a fire which may render a building or area unsafe, the following action should be taken:
- Know the location of fire extinguishers in your area and know how to use them.
- For a minor, containable fire, alert others nearby and use the appropriate fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire only if safe to do so.
- For a larger fire or a quickly spreading fire, do not attempt to extinguish it yourself.Call 9-1-1 and Security at 646-4099 and activate the building’s fire alarm system.Evacuate the building, assisting those with disabilities.
- For a larger fire, if possible and safe to do so, close doors to confine the fire and reduce oxygen, but DO NOT LOCK DOORS.
- Keep the walkways and vehicle access clear for emergency vehicles.
- You may be instructed to report to a regrouping area. Do not evacuate campus unless instructed to do so.
- Assist staff and personnel in charge to determine if everyone has evacuated safely.
- The Emergency Operations Center will form as a result of this incident and will be the source of information and plan of action.
- DO NOT RETURN TO A BUILDING UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO BY A COLLEGE OFFICIAL OR A FIRE OFFICER.