Any spillage of a dangerous chemical or material on or near the campus should be reported by calling 911 and/or Security at 646-4099. (Dangerous chemicals are defined/identified in the MPC Chemical Hygiene Plan).
- When reporting, be specific about the nature of the substance involved, its approximate quantity, and location.If reported to Security, they will contact appropriate emergency personnel.
- Vacate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination of others. Necessary first aid and cleanup by specialized authorities should be started at once.
- The Emergency Operations Center will form as a result of this incident and will be the source of information and plan of action.
- Anyone who may be contaminated because he/she was in the immediate area affected by the spill must:
- Avoid contact with others as much as possible
- Remain in the vicinity
- Provide information to Security and/or Emergency Personnel.
- You may be directed to a regrouping area. If necessary, because of the danger involved and/or if directed to do so by College Security, activate the building alarm system and follow the remaining steps [take this booklet with you!]
- Notify your supervisor or instructor, then
- Evacuate the building by quickly walking to the nearest exit,
- Alert other people as you go
- Regarding persons with disabilities:
- Leave the elevators for those with disabilities and assist where possible.
- You may be instructed to report to a regrouping area. Do not evacuate campus unless instructed to do so.
- Assist staff and personnel in charge to determine if everyone has evacuated safely.
DO NOT RETURN TO A BUILDING UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO OR UNTIL THE ALL CLEAR SIGNAL HAS SOUNDED.