For additional information, please contact:
JoRene Finnell, Executive Assistant to the Superintendent/President and Governing Board
firstname.lastname@example.org • (831) 646-4272
Thank you for your interest in serving as an appointed member of the Board of Trustees of the Monterey Peninsula Community College District (MPCCD).
The application period is now closed.Below is a brief schedule that outlines the steps in the selection process. Click to access a comprehensive timeline.
|Friday, August 23, 2019, 10:00 a.m.
||Applications due to Superintendent/President’s Office.|
|Thursday, August 29, 2019, 4:00p.m.
||Special Board of Trustees Meeting - candidate presentations and provisional appointment by the Board of Trustees.
|Friday, August 30, 2019
||MPCCD publishes notice of provisional appointment.
|Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 4:00 p.m.
||Regular Board of Trustees Meeting - swear in appointed trustee.
- must be at least 18 years old,
- must reside in, and be registered to vote in, Trustee Area 1 -Seaside/Sand City (see map of trustee areas),
- may not be an employee of the MPCCD, and
- must not be disqualified from holding civil office by the Constitution or any law of the state.
To be considered for the appointment to Trustee Area 1, individuals will:
- Submit the application materials listed below.
- A cover letter addressed to the Chair of the Board of Trustees, Ms. Marilynn Dunn Gustafson
- A completed application, including supplemental questions and disclaimer/signature
- Receive a request to give a five-minute presentation to the Governing Board, explaining what makes them a good candidate for this seat.
Applications may be submitted online or in hard copy by mail to: Monterey Peninsula Community College District Board of Trustees, c/o Mr. David Martin, 980 Fremont Street, Monterey, CA 93940.
- Online Application
- Hard Copy Application
All application materials must be received no later than Friday, August 23, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. Applicants' cover letters, public & community service, and responses to supplemental questions will be posted publicly on the MPC website on August 26, 2019.
The appointee will serve until the next regularly scheduled election for district governing board members, which is November 2020. (Please note that the appointee may choose to run for election in November 2020. The elected trustee will serve until the time of the regularly scheduled general election for Trustee Area 1 in November 2022.)
Applicants are encouraged to review the resources below which outline responsibilities and expectations of the Board of Trustees.
Monterey Peninsula Community College District:
- Board of Trustees Webpage
- Board Policies and Administrative Procedures - Chapter 2 - Board of Trustees
- Budgets and Financial Reports
- Monterey Peninsula College Website
- Resource Guide for Institutional Decision Making at MPC
Community College League of California:
- Board Candidate Information
- Trustee Handbook
- Different Jobs, Different Tasks: Board and CEO Roles and Responsibilities
- Introduction to Fiscal Responsibilities
- Student-Centered Funding Formula
- Trustee Tasks, Knowledge, and Skills
- Trustee and Board of Education
- CCLC Fast Facts
- Commonly Used Terms in California Community College Administration