Welcome to the MPC Academic Senate Web Page!
The Academic Senate meets the first and third Thursdays of each month at 2:30-4:15 in the Sam Karas room. The agenda is determined by the Senate Executive Committee one week prior to each meeting. Any requests for agenda items should be submitted for consideration in writing or email to the Academic Senate President directly or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the Executive Committee meeting.
- Check out the Fall 2018 Flex Schedule.
Start planning your Flex Day now! View the Fall 2018 Flex Day schedule here!
- Apply for a Faculty and Staff Advancement Award. Watch the Foundation website for details.
- Don't forget to enter your course reflections! What are you doing differently this semester? What are the most difficult learning outcomes for your students to reach? Please enter your reflections into TracDat- more directions on the SLO/Reflections webpage at the left.
- The California Promise Grant, extending the BOG fee waiver, has come to MPC at the start of the Fall 2018 semester
- Guided Pathways – Math and English acceleration and multiple measure placements are happening! Marina Dean of Student Services Christine Erickson assigned as guided pathways coordinator.
- Waitlists – Waitlists have been fully and thoughtfully implemented at MPC! Here’s how it works.
- MPC’s Accreditation Probation has been lifted! Many thanks to the Learning Assessment Committee for their efforts in driving the charge to assess all of our courses and programs. GThis is good news and relieves us from the blockade on substantive curricular changes!
New to the School?
Are you new to the school?
- Head's up! A new California Community Colleges initiative is afoot: The California Guided Pathways Project Here is a "must-watch" video in consideration of the value of Guided Academic Pathways and MPC’s need for them: Video of Bob Johnstone on guided pathways
- Inclusion statement written and shared by Andres Durstenfeld. Dr. D. has written and shared this paragraph which would make a nice addition to our course syllabi. Thank you, Andres!
- How do you want to be involved in our MPC community? Whose responsibility is it anyway? Resource Guide to Institutional Decision-Making at MPC
- Join our faculty Google calendar. We now have a Google calendar of important dates for faculty. Here is a note from Kristin Darken as to how to access or join it. Thank you, Kristin!
- Interested in learning more about how California Community Colleges work? Upcoming institutes put on by the State Academic Senate- Let me know if you are interested in attending!
- Curious about acceleration of Math and English requirements and its potential impact on basic skills sequences and assessment practices? Here's a link to the California Acceleration Project's website: http://accelerationproject.org/
- Check out the ASCCC's Rostrum articles! The statewide Academic Senate of California Community Colleges continues to publish well-researched and timely articles about the very issues that we are encountering or will be encountering on our campus. Please also browse their website for all their publications and resolutions and information about their institutes and plenary sessions.
- The California Community Colleges Board of Governors embraced an ambitious strategic plan calling for sizeable increases in the number of students transferring to a University of California or California State University campus, substantial improvements in preparing students for in-demand jobs and eliminating the achievement gap altogether. Read full press release here.
- What's up in the statewide California Community College system?"State of the System" report from the Chancellor's office
- Why I embrace learning assessments:Geoffrey Canada on our failing schools