The English and Study Skills Center (ESSC)
Why we are here:
Our purpose is to empower MPC students through fostering a welcoming, safe and equitable environment where they can excel in the communication skills needed to become confident, successful lifelong learners and professionals.
What we provide:
- Free in-person writing, research, ESL, and computer assistance (ENGL400)
- Self-paced classes to improve your reading, writing, vocabulary, or study skills (ENGL300, 303, 351, 352)
- State-of-the-art technology: scanners, Microsoft Office suite, and a WEPA color printer for your academic projects; over 100 Windows-based PCs available for student use; and assistive software from Kurzweil Educational Systems to help with reading, writing, and study skills
- Workshops addressing student needs (e.g., textbook-reading skills)
How to access our tutoring services:
- The ESSC now offers appointments for face-to-face tutorial sessions with our faculty and staff. WCOnline is the appointment-based scheduling system.
- To receive free tutoring services, students must register for ENGL400 (free for MPC students) and WCOnline. Ask for help with this process at the ESSC main desk.
- We take drop-in appointments.
- If students are unable to visit our locations, Net Tutor inside your MPC Canvas course is an online option that is free for MPC students.
How to access our classes: To get registered, come to the ESSC main desk and meet with the instructor-of-record, who will help plan the schedule.
What research says: During Spring 2017, students enrolled in ENGL400 were 25% more likely to be successful in their ENGL1A courses than those who did not use the ESSC services.