Welcome to the world of human interaction!
Speech communication courses are designed to equip you to make wise communication choices as you
- Build and maintain relationships
- Speak in a public setting
- Participate in groups and teams
- Demonstrate leadership
- Interact with people from various cultures
- Interact in the workplace
Communication Studies is, generally speaking, the study of human communication. The Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer (AA-T in Communication Studies) degree program assists students in improving their communication skills and is designed to prepare students for a major in Communication Studies. The course of study promotes understanding, analysis, and effective application of theories related to communication in interpersonal, group, public, organizational, multicultural, and/or mediated contexts. The program prepares students to transfer into the CSU system to pursue a baccalaureate degree in Communication Studies or related major.
To complete the program, students must complete the CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern, as well as the courses as described below. See AA-T degree requirements for official listing of course options.
REQUIRED CORE COURSE: (3 units)
- SPCH 1 Public Speaking
LIST A: Select two (6 units)
LIST B: Select two (6 units)
- SPCH 4 Intercultural Communication
- SPCH 5 Oral Interpretation of Literature
- SPCH 10 Introduction to Communication Theory
- COMM 5 Mass Media Methods
LIST C: Select one (3 units)
- PSYC 1 General Psychology
- SOCI 1 Introduction to Sociology
- ENGL 2 Argumentative Writing and Critical Thinking
- SPCH 54 Leadership Communication
(Note: this course does not transfer to UC)