Want to learn in the comfort of your home?
CHECK OUT OUR ONLINE COURSE OFFERINGS:
MEDA105 (Medical Terminology); Fall, Spring and Summer
MEDA 100 (Introduction to Health Careers); Fall, Spring and Summer
MEDA 112 (Medical Office Computer Applications); Fall
MEDA 118 (Pharmacology and Human Disease) - Fall
These courses are open to non-majors and may satisfy prerequisites for various health programs (check your specific program requirements)
NEW FAST-TRACK MEDICAL ASSISTING IN MARINA!!
Spring starters can now complete a Certificate of Achievement in Medical Assisting in just 16 months!
A NEW MEDICAL ASSISTING COHORT BEGINS EVERY SPRING AND FALL!!
We offer programs and courses for future or current medical office professionals - from front desk and clinical back office to billing and coding. Our individual course structure allows you to tailor your own schedule. Attend full-time, part-time or just take a course to refresh or expand your skills. Our teaching approach includes a mix of academics, hands-on skills practice and many, many real-world scenarios. We strive to prepare our students for a smooth transition from college to employment.
Choose one or more of our programs: Medical Assisting, Medical Office Administration and Medical Office Insurance and Coding Specialist. Each program offers a Certificate of Achievement and/or Associates Degree of Science (strongly recommended - appreciated by employers).
FAST TRACK students - start in Spring, finish the next Spring. This program is designed for Medical Assisting students who want to get to work faster - you can still earn your Associates Degree later. All of our courses are for college credit.
ASSOCIATES DEGREE students - start in Fall, finish in 3-4 semesters. A degree gives you more options for advancement and may be worth the extra effort. The Monterey cohorts for Medical Assisting, Medical Office Administration and Medical Office Insurance and Coding Specialist programs are designed to support students interested in earning the degree, leaving spaces between classes so you can get your general education courses done while you prepare for your new profession.
Please use the navigation menu in the upper left corner of this webpage for information regarding course sequences and offerings by semester.
Want some answers now? Here is some QUICK INFO:
Enrollment process: 1. Apply to MPC (go to front page, click on New Students button)
2. See a counselor to make an education plan
3. Check out the SUGGESTED ORDER OF COURSES posted on the link on the left upper corner box on this page for your program of choice - you can now take classes in Marina or Monterey - or both! Also see list of first semester courses below
4. Use your student ID to enroll in courses
Program length: 3 semesters (plus a 160-hour externship for medical assisting)
FIRST SEMESTER COURSES TO TAKE:
MEDA 100 Introduction to Health Careers
MEDA 105 Medical Terminology - ONLINE or in class options
CSIS 50/50L Microsoft Office Applications + Lab - ONLINE or in class options
MEDA 120 Clinical Techniques I (MA only)
Job prospects: EXCELLENT! Employers are waiting for you!
Advancement opportunities:Lead MA, Supervisor, Staff Trainer, Office Manager, Teacher/Instructor
Related jobs (some may require further training): Patient Health Coach, Medical Scribe, Health Information Management Professional, Health IT Professional, Medical Office Coder/Biller, Medical Transcriptionist, Research Assistant, Hospital Unit Clerk, Admissions Professional ............
The Medical Assisting program entails a wide variety of instruction in all aspects of a medical office, including hands-on patient care and administrative office procedures. Many medical assistants work in the "back office" where they assist physicians and manage the flow of patients. The ability to also fill administrative positions makes medical assistants especially valuable to a medical office. This is truly a "Jack-of-All-Trades" profession. You will be eligible to take a national certification exam through the American Medical Technologists (AMT) and earn the RMA credential upon completion of the MA program.
Daily tasks of a medical assistant may include:
- obtaining vital signs such as blood pressure, pulse and temperature
- measuring height and weight on adults and children
- drawing blood and processing lab specimens
- giving medication injections and immunizations
- calling medication refills to a pharmacy
- updating a patient's medical record with all pertinent information
- communicating with others in the patient's healthcare team and coordinating patient care
The Medical Office Administration program includes topics such as patient reception, insurance procedures and many other administrative support functions that help a medical office run smoothly. A friendly personality, professionalism and attention to detail are some of the traits sought by employers of medical office personnel, in addition to the solid foundation of skills and medical knowledge we teach students in this program.
Daily tasks of a medical office administrative professional may include:
- scheduling patient appointments
- checking in patients as they arrive
- updating and maintaining financial records
- creating, submitting and following up on health insurance claims
- taking phone messages and communicating with the healthcare team
- maintaining patient records
The Medical Office Insurance and Coding Specialist program focuses on procedural and diagnostic coding in a medical office setting.The program includes instruction in medical office skills and insurance basics. Students also gain knowledge of medical terminology, pharmacology and anatomy in order to correctly identify codes for procedures and diagnoses from physician statements. Prior experience in a medical office is beneficial but not required.
Daily tasks of a medical office coding and insurance specialist may include:
- checking diagnostic and procedural codes against medical documentation
- creating, submitting and following up on health insurance claims
- communicating with third party payers, physicians and patients
- updating data bases and reference materials for efficient coding and billing procedures
Program details and individual course descriptions are found in the MPC catalog.
Degrees & Certificates
- Certificate of Achievement: Medical Assisting
- Associate in Science Degree: Medical Assisting
- Certificate of Achievement: Medical Office Administration
- Associate in Science Degree: Medical Office Administration
- Certificate of Achievement: Medical Office Insurance and Coding Specialist
- Associate in Science Degree: Medical Office Insurance and Coding Specialist
Click for related career information and links to the Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Secretarial Work
- Typing and Telegraphy
- Nursing and Other Allied Health Services
- Laboratory Technology