The Fire Protection Technology Program prepares the students for a career in the fire service. The curriculum includes courses in building construction related to firefighter and life safety, history and philosophy of fire prevention, fire and life safety education, fire investigation, water-based fire suppression systems, special hazard, fire suppression systems, water supply for fire protection and portable fire extinguishers, career opportunities in fire protection and related fields, culture and history of emergency services.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Analyze the causes of fire, determine extinguishing agents and methods, differentiate the stages of the fire and fire development, and compare methods of heat transfer.
- Identify and describe common types of building construction and conditions associated with structural collapse and firefighter safety.
- Identify minimum qualifications and entry-level skills for fire fighter hiring. The student will be able to describe the following elements: application process; written exam process; physical agility exam, oral interview, chief’s interview; background investigation; and fire fighter probationary process. Students will identify fire service history, culture and diversity.
- Analyze, appraise and evaluate fire and emergency incidents and identify components of emergency
management and fire fighter safety including: Size-up, report on conditions, Incident Command System; RECEO; 10 Standard Firefighting Orders; 18 Situations that Shout “Watch Out”; and common factors associated with injuries and line of duty deaths.
- Identify and comprehend laws, regulations, codes and standards that influence fire department operations, and identify regulatory and advisory organizations that create and mandate them, especially in the areas of fire prevention, building codes and ordinances, and firefighter health and safety.
- Identify and describe the apparatus used in the fire service, and the equipment and maintenance of fire
apparatus and equipment.
- Differentiate between fire detection and fire suppression systems. Student will design and diagram a wet and dry fire protection system, and identify alarm system components and their operations.
||Principles of Emergency Services
||Fire Behavior and Combustion||3|
|| Principles of Fire and Emergency Services Safety & Survival
|| Building Construction for Fire Prevention
|| Fire Prevention
|| Fire Protection Systems
TOTAL Certificate Units