MPC classes and student services are currently being offered fully online. Click for COVID-19 info for students.

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

  • Can I just take English classes to learn or improve my English?

    No, currently, MPC only issues I-20s to international students who wish to pursue studies towards an academic degree. While English as a Second Language classes may be part of the requirements needed to complete an Associate Degree or transfer program, we do not offer a separate English language program for international students. If you are looking for short-term English language study only, we recommend that you contact our nearby language training programs at Monterey Institute of International Studies or California State University, Monterey Bay.
  • Can I meet with a counselor virtually?

    Appointments are available in-person or over the phone.
  • Can I still be accepted to the college if I do not meet the minimum TOEFL or IELTS score?

    Yes, Monterey Peninsula College offers conditional admission for students who completed level 3 at Monterey Institute of International Studies or students who completed English courses at a U.S. community college or university.

  • Can I take online classes?

    Yes, international students may enroll in units online each semester permitted they take at least 9 in-person units. If you are considering taking an online class, we strongly suggest that you discuss this with the ISP Counselor prior to registration.
  • Can I transfer my credits to MPC from my previous college or university?

    Yes, you may transfer your credits from a previous college. In the application for admissions, all official transcripts must be provided.

  • Can I work while having the F-1 visa?

    You may work on campus for up to 20 hours per week.  During the vacation periods you may work full-time or any amount over 20 hours per week.

    An F-1 student may be authorized to work off-campus as part of the CPT requirements on a part-time basis after having been in F-1 status for one full academic year provided that the student is in good academic standing as determined by the Designated School Official.

  • Can my education from another country count towards my degree at MPC?

    Yes, it is possible to have your education from another country count toward your degree at MPC.  Your transcript will need to first be evaluated by a current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) organization and then submitted to the MPC International Student Programs Office.  We can only provide credit for classes that are equivalent to courses offered at MPC.
  • Do I need to attend the mandatory ISP orientation?

    Yes, the ISP orientation is mandatory in order for students to receive important program and academic information.  
  • Do I need to take an assessment exam if I passed the English Proficiency exam?

    Yes, students will need to take an ESL Assessment exam in order to determine which English level is right for them. 
  • Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam if I am from an English speaking country?

    No, students from English speaking countries are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.

  • How long does it take to find out whether or not I've been admitted?

    It depends. Once all application materials have been received we will begin our evaluation of your application. Please note that we may ask for further verification which can delay the process. 

  • How many units do I have to take per semester if I am an F-1 visa holder?

    12 units. United States immigration law requires that all international students on the F-1 visa be enrolled full-time, a minimum of 12 units each Fall and Spring semester.
  • Is purchasing health insurance mandatory?

    Yes, purchasing health insurance is mandatory for international students. Private health care in the U.S. is very expensive so MPC requires all international students to have health insurance. You must purchase the health insurance using our campus provider at the time of registration. If you choose to purchase health insurance on your own, you must have your insurance agent complete the Health Insurance Affidavit verifying that your policy meets or exceeds the MPC health insurance coverage plan
  • Is there financial assistance and/or scholarships available for international students?

    No, international students are not eligible for State and Federal aid.  MPC does not offer scholarships directly for international students. Typically MPC does not provide scholarships for international students; however, there have been some opportunities for available scholarships but would need to be pursued once you’ve been admitted. Scholarships may be available in the 2nd year of studies. 
  • What if I cannot attend the mandatory ISP orientation?

    Contact the ISP office as soon as possible to discuss why you cannot attend. Students are still responsible for receiving the information and will be required to attend a later orientation session. 
  • What is an F-1 student?

    An F-1 visa student is a nonimmigrant who is pursuing a "full course of study" to achieve a specific educational or professional objective, at an academic institution in the United States.
  • What is an F-1 visa?

    The F-1 Visa is a type of nonimmigrant visa that allows students to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited academic institution or language training program.  You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.
  • What is an I-20?

    The I-20 is the Certificate of Eligibility that provides supporting information on your F-1 visa status and verifies that you have been accepted at a U.S. school.  All F-1 visa applicants must present the I-20 when you apply for a visa at the U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy.
  • When should I notify MPC that I plan on transferring to another college?

    Immediately as this allows us to work with you on preparing documents or ensuring you have all the information that you need to transfer.